Provisional Common Canon
From The Common Canon
Development of the Provisional Common Canon
The Provisional Common Canon was launched on May 25, 2011.
Apply to Become an Editor
Anyone in the world who speaks English may apply to become an editor of the Provisional Common Canon. Contact the Center for Human Conscience to express your interest.
The Editing Process
Once selected to be an editor, you will be given an account to log in and edit the Provisional Common Canon. Depending on your background and application, your editing privileges may be restricted to particular pages or sections of the Canon about which you are especially knowledgeable.
The editing process will be supervised by administrators from the Center for Human Conscience. Editors are expected to use discretion and care when editing the Canon. Any editor whose editing becomes overly combative, disruptive or detrimental to the project, in the opinion of the administrators, may be warned. If the objectionable conduct continues, the editor may be banned.
Contents of the Provisional Common Canon
Each bullet point in the sections below represents a single article in the Canon. Some of the articles will be much longer than others.
The division of knowledge into sections, subsections, and articles is subject to revision as the Provisional Common Canon develops.
- Overview of Human History
- Timeline of Historical Periods and Events
- Institutional History of Humankind
- Intellectual History of Humankind
- Social, Cultural, and Economic History of Humankind
- The Periodic Table of Elements
- Atoms, Molecules, and Chemical Reactions
- Types of Substances and Their Phases and Properties
- Cellular Biology
- Classification of Living Things
- Anatomy of Humans and Other Animals
- The Theory of Evolution
Astronomy and Cosmology
- Basic Mathematical Concepts and Principles
- Geometry and Trigonometry
- Statistics and Probability
Overview and Compilation
- Overview of the Development and Features of Human Religion
- Selections from the Writings of the Great World Religions
- Animism, Polytheism, and Other Primordial Religious Beliefs
- Neopaganism and Modern Earth-Centered Spiritual Traditions
Semitic or Abrahamic Religions
Religions of Indic Origin
Religions of Chinese Origin
Religions of Persian Origin
Religions of American Origin
- Philosophical Traditions and Fields of Inquiry
- Selections from the Writings of the Great Philosophers
Arts and Humanities
- Types of Artistic and Creative Expression
- The Greatest Works of Literature
- The Greatest Works of Art
- The Greatest Works of Music
- The Greatest Works of Film
The works themselves (i.e. full text, images, audio and video) are included in the Cultural and Creative Works section.
Proclamations and Decisions of Peoples
- Selections from the Great Declarations, Constitutions, and Charters
- Selections from National Laws
- Selections from International Conventions and Treaties
- Selections from the Resolutions of the United Nations
- Selections from the Resolutions of the People's Assembly of the World
Celebrated Historical Figures
Sorted by Field of Achievement
- Celebrated Historical Figures in Government, Law, and Diplomacy
- Celebrated Historical Figures in Economics, Commerce, and Labor
- Celebrated Historical Figures in Science and Technology
- Celebrated Historical Figures in Health, Education, and Social Services
- Celebrated Historical Figures in Philosophy, Spirituality, and Religion
- Celebrated Historical Figures in the Arts and Humanities
Sorted by Day of Commemoration
Each article will have subsections for each day of the month.
- Historical Figures Commemorated in January
- Historical Figures Commemorated in February
- Historical Figures Commemorated in March
- Historical Figures Commemorated in April
- Historical Figures Commemorated in May
- Historical Figures Commemorated in June
- Historical Figures Commemorated in July
- Historical Figures Commemorated in August
- Historical Figures Commemorated in September
- Historical Figures Commemorated in October
- Historical Figures Commemorated in November
- Historical Figures Commemorated in December
List of persons.
List of persons.
Cultural and Creative Works
These are the same works listed and described in the Arts and Humanities section of Basic Knowledge.
Full texts translated into a set of languages.